CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Wednesday, May 11, 2011

The Brown Beasts

Check this post out at the handmade homeI couldn't have said it better myself.  She couldn't have captured how I feel about our leather sofas any better:  “[they] sit in the heart of the home like two ominous, deadweight anchors. They mock me and my living room’s potential with their dead boring generic bachelor pad existence every day.”  Even though I like our sofas, I think they are better suited for another room.  I feel like our room is already a little wonky (is that a real word?) and that they are heavy and bulky and just weigh it down.  Eric brought this set to the marriage so of course it's kinda like a bachelor pad set.  This is similar to what we have plus an ottoman:


Source


She also goes on to talk about vintage tufted back sofas and having one covered in velvet.... ammmm thats EXACTLY what I have been dreaming about!  And you know what I just realized?  I HAVE a vintage tuft back sofa in storage.  It belonged to my grandmother and she generously gifted it to me when I was in college. (Thanks Grandma!) It would be gorgeous with blue velvet on it, or maybe green.  Am I crazy for wanting a velvet sofa with a toddler??  Maybe so, but I still think it would be great.  Anyone know of a kid-friendly fabric that resembles velvet?  My sofa resembles this (except it isn't this long, only 3 cushions I think):

Source

In other living room news, I have decided to put up some sort of wainscoting. There is a ridiculously ugly return vent on the wall under the stairs that I can't stand.  Hideous I tell you. My grand plan is to put up the wainscoting around the room and it will all be white so, fingers crossed, it will help conceal the ugly vent some.  I *think* I have come up with a budget friendly version of wainscoting.  I will share some before and afters with you guys.  My brother is going to help me with it this summer while he's job hunting.  Here are a few inspiration photos:

Source
Source
Source
  What do you think?
  

0 comments:

Post a Comment